2013 Resolutions: How'd I Do?

At the beginning of the year, I put up two resolutions posts. The first was a Top Ten Tuesday prompt, Top 10 Books I Resolve to Read in 2013, and the second was the more general 2013 Bookish Resolutions. So, now that we've reached the last few days of 2013, it's time to ask the big question:

How'd I do?

I successfully read The Wig in the Window by Kristen Kittscher, my mystery resolution for the year; my review of the book can be found here. I also managed to listen to the audiobook of Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam Mansbach, though I did not review it, and I'm currently reading The Book of Cthulhu II.

However, I failed to read The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson, Divergent by Veronica Roth, The Mist by Stephen King, The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, and The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan.

So, as far as books go, I managed 3/10. Pretty pathetic!

On the subject of other resolutions, here's what they were:

  • Read at least fifty books I actually own.
    • Of the 180+ books I read in 2013, only thirty-six were books that I own.
  • Pinpoint the most effect and affordable way to pass along my old books to new owners.
    • Currently, I am donating my books to a local thrift store. It's not the solution I was looking for, but it's acceptable for the meantime.
  • Complete at least the lowest level of every challenge on my 2013 Reading Challenges page.
    • I spent most of the year in a bit of a reading slump, and so I didn't come close to completing my yearly challenges. As a matter of fact, I think the challenges actually contributed to my laziness; this year, I'm not committing to any until I am already back in the swing of consistent reading.
  • Finish three fanfiction stories to put up on Archive of Our Own this fall.
    • My AO3 account is still empty, and I expect it to remain that way for quite some time.
  • Finish a manuscript, even if it's so terrible I never want to see it again.
    • Well, I didn't finish one, but I started one for NaNoWriMo this year that I'm really enjoying and hope to complete sometime between NaNo 2014.
  • Write a cumulative minimum of 350,000 words.
    • I was terribly lazy about keeping track of what I wrote this year, so it's possible that I did in fact reach this goal. Since I failed to properly keep a count, however, I'm going to mark it down as a failure anyway.
  • Focus on reading more new releases and more popular books.
    • Yeah, I tried to do this... and I failed. This is the other main cause of my reading slump, I think; trying to persuade myself to read what other people are gushing about just hasn't clicked with me. In 2014, I hope to reconnect with my own interests and explore genres that I find more entertaining.
  • Try to get ahead of schedule with Amara's Eden by utilizing the schedule post feature.
    • This one was a definite failure, unfortunately.
  • Be more social on Goodreads and the Blogosphere.
    • I think I succeeded with this, to an extent--at least where Goodreads is concerned. I'm no social butterfly by any stretch of the imagination, but I did better in 2013 than I did in 2011, for example--a year in which I don't think I talked to a single person about books.
  • Stop requesting books from the library that I won't be able to read within the check-out period.
    • The giant piles of library books in my bedroom would like me to inform you that I failed dismally, and that they would like to go home.
  • Find my reviewing voice, and get a handle on this whole blogging thing.
    • I honestly have no idea! I think I'm getting a bit better, maybe, but I still don't think I'm a particularly wonderful reviewer; I definitely need more practice, and I hope to keep practicing in 2014.
Stay tuned for my 2014 resolutions! Hopefully I'll have better luck this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Professional Reader

Follow the Blog

Follow

follow us in feedly
© 2012 - 2017 Amara Tanith. Powered by Blogger.

Support the Blog

Amara's Eden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.